What does EMO mean?A slang abbreviation of "emotional". This can describe a person, a style of aesthetic, or a genre of music.
Other definitions of EMO:
- Short for Emotional Hardcore, a 1980s genre of music derived from punk, but characterized by melodramatic/personal lyrics.
- Shorthand for a fan of emo music. These fans can sometimes be recognized by a ubiquitous style of dress that utilizes a lot of black clothing, died hair, skinny jeans, etc.
- Can be a derogatory term for an overly emotional person.
- Of or relating to emocore music, a melodic and confessional punk rock. Can describe fans or style, for example.
All of our slang term and phrase definitions are made possible by our wonderful visitors. If you know of another definition of EMO that should be included here, please let us know.
How to use the term
You're looking for an emo haircut?
It was jarring that you went from an emo record to a reggae one.
I can understand why so many teenagers turn towards the Emo scene. It's a hard time and it can feel overwhelming for many.
Many confuse goth and emo, but there are subtle differences.
The emo community seems to be pretty accepting. There's a lot of courage in admitting emotionality.
Video related to EMO
A Brief History of Emo | Pitchfork, YouTube
- A Miscellaneous that mentions "EMO."
An animation from a series published by Pitchfork that covers different genres of music.
In this episode, three "emo" teenagers put on a presentation explaining the origin of emo music.
- Check it Out
More slang terms:
An argument or tussle.
Fouled Up Beyond Use
in my f**king opinion
Day After Drinking Shits