What does Chancla mean?The Latino term for flip-flop or slide shoe. Also referred to as "La Chancla", the term is indicative of child abuse — hitting misbehaving kids with a chancla to punish them.
Other definitions of Chancla:
- Shorthand term for childhood punishment from parents, often the mother, who would take off their sandal and hit you for acting stupid. Comes from the Mexican term for slide shoes.
- A deadly weapon when employed by an upset Latino parent who is going to punish a mouthy kid.
- A Central/South American term for flip-flop sandal. Often thrown, this footwear becomes a punishing weapon.
- A Latino/Mexican term for slide shoe or flip-flop. The term is indicative of the routine employment of the shoe as a punishment device used by parents on children. Attempting to teach a lesson, these irate parents abuse their kids with their shoes, which are always close. The term is used by these children to refer to the rigid rules they were raised with.
All of our slang term and phrase definitions are made possible by our wonderful visitors. If you know of another definition of Chancla that should be included here, please let us know.
How to use the term
Mad Parent: "Come here, you're getting la chancla!"
Mi madre raised me with la chancla.
Then my dad made me go get his chancla so he could smack me right there.
Duck! Here comes la chancla!
NPR Code Switch Opinion Piece: 'La Chancla': Flip Flops As A Tool of Discipline
- A Website that mentions "Chancla."
A quick article summarizing the full effect of the chancla as a punishment tool.
- Check it Out
More slang terms:
It really sucks the big one
Bulletin Board System
You're such a dork
A descriptive term applied to anything high class or rich in taste. From the French "bourgeoisie".