What does CATFISH mean?A slang term for a fake or stolen identity that is used online in the attempt to start a deceptive relationship, often as a targeted attack.
Other definitions of CATFISH:
- Somebody who pretends to be someone they are not and tries to start online relationships — there are various, nefarious reasons someone would conduct this behavior, like trolling, sexual pleasure, or financial gain.
- The practice of adopting a false identity online and aiming to begin a relationship. This subterfuge and roleplay requires high-level lying skills to execute.
- Using altered or completely fake material to create an online personality to trick someone via dating apps or social media into relations. This can be a photoshop that makes someone more attractive, or photos of completely different person.
- Tricking someone, especially online, but faking who you are. The term originates from the 2010 documentary Catfish, in which a victim of catfishing, who finds out a 19-year old girl is actually a 40-year old housewife.
All of our slang term and phrase definitions are made possible by our wonderful visitors. If you know of another definition of CATFISH that should be included here, please let us know.
How to use the term
I think you're being catfished. These photos look like two different people.
So, you're a catfish, right? There's no way this video is of you.
Well, I caught your dad catfishing another young kid. We've got a problem.
Catfish or not, I better get ready for my date.
I work in a division that tries to mitigate the number of catfish attempts on our platform. It's tough work.
Video related to CATFISH
Catfish - Trailer | Universal Pictures, YouTube
- A Movie that mentions "CATFISH."
A trailer for the American documentary where the term Catfish originates. In the reality, thriller, a young man finds out the person he's been flirting with online is actually a very different person than he had imagined.
- Check it Out
More slang terms:
To Tell You The Truth
Option Open to You
Talk to you